“A good, low cost fee brokerage account in Ireland”
DEGIRO is available on various devices and in my opinion investing can be a great way to speed up your journey to Financial Independence Retire Early
No sure where to begin?
If you are still confused, I will show you step by step how you can begin investing through DEGIRO.
With DEGIRO you can invest in many different products with access to more than 50 exchanges across 30 countries read more here
- Investment Trusts
- Leveraged Products
But, I am new to Share market Investing?
You might have heard about share markets and stocks before. Don’t worry if you are not aware of other financial products, and it’s your first time hearing about them.
DEGRIO has great tutorial videos at the Investor’s Academy, check out this video covering Basic Financial Products.
Are there any risks?
Every investment involves risks, but in my opinion you can minimized these risks and maximize rewards with discipline, diversification and most importantly informing yourself so check out The DEGIRO Knowledgebase Investor’s Academy
Smart Investing can really help you move towards your goal to Financial Independence. Okay. Without further ado, let’s get right into it!
Always remember to do careful research as any investment involves risks.
First, open an account super quick..
Opening an Account.
- Use this invite link
- Click Open a Free Account
- Fill in your email, username, password details
- Click link in verification email to activate your account.
- After verification is complete DEGIRO will process your application (normally very quickly)
- Once your profile is accepted, complete it with details like your personal address.
Are there account security features?
Yes under the Security tab.
- 2-factor authentication is available
- Security code is generated by Sophos Authenticator app – on Android and IOS
This extra layer of security is a plus!
If you are stuck check out the DEGIRO guide here
Connecting your bank account to begin trading is very easy, too.
Your ID will be used as proof of residence.
The bank account must be in your name, and you have to deposit €0.01 to activate your account.
Now you can access the Trading Platform.
The whole process is seamless!
Transferring money to DEGIRO.
Now the bank account is verified you can transfer funds in and out at the click of a button.
- Click the icon to transfer money in and out (present in the top right area).
- Choose Transfer Money Manually.
- Next send money to the bank account you specify or add funds to DEGIRO from your bank account.
A Quick Tip! If you are feeling nervous, start out by investing a small amount like €1.
Investing in Stocks
Shares give you ownership in a company. Shareholders enjoy capital gains if the company profits or from dividends. They may also suffer losses in case the company has bad days. So, it’s always a good idea to diversify your portfolio.
Here’s how you can invest in stocks on DEGIRO.
- Login to web portal of DEFGIRO.
- Find the search bar at the top and enter the stock you want to buy, example “Apple”. (Remember do your research! Risk vs Reward.)
- Select the stock from the list to open its overview page.
- From there you can see all the information you need about a stock – charts, prices, performance stats.
- From here you can buy or sell stocks. There are different types of orders: Limit, Market, Stop Loss, Stop Limit Order. Find out more here.
- Next enter the number of stocks you want to buy/sell.
- Finally, choose order duration – Day orders are auto cancelled at the end of day, if they don’t get executed (say, due to your wanted price not being offered). Good till cancel remains open until it is executed, manually deleted or expired.
- Click place an order.
The stock will show up in your portfolio (in case of a successful buy).
ETF stands for exchange traded fund. It is a basket of securities that trade on an exchange, just like a stock. Investing in ETFs is a straightforward process on DEGIRO.
- Search for the ETF you want to invest in. For example, search for “SPDR MSCI WORLD UCITS”. (This is just an example, not a recommendation!)
- You can choose the USD or EUR option. To avoid currency risk, you may choose EUR.
- Again, the overview page appears like in stocks where you can see performance of the ETF like YTD (how it performed this year), 1D(past day performance), etc.
- For more details, view its full documents by clicking Documents.
- Also, pay attention to the costs/charges before you decide to make a transaction.
Know more about ETFs here.
DEGIRO offers a selection of 200 commission-free ETFs (conditions applicable – click here).
In Investment Funds, a pool of money (collected from different investors like you) is used to invest in stocks and bonds. This reduces risk.
There are two types of Investment Funds:
- Actively Managed
- Passively Managed
Know more here.
How to invest in Investment Funds on DEGIRO?
- Go to search and click Investment Funds from the list dropdown.
- Click on the name to view a fund’s overview screen.
- Here you will see all the information you need on a fund like its documents with its aim, fund managers’ information, etc. KIID (Key Investor Information Document) is particularly useful.
- If you want to invest, click the buy on the right side of the overview page. It leads to an order popup.
- The only difference here are the fields. Here the only field is the Amount you want to invest. So, it’s a much simpler process.
What’s a REIT?
REIT stands for real estate investment trust (REIT). It is a company that owns and manages income-generating real estate like storage/land/commercial spaces (that they rent, for example).
REITs, like Mutual Funds, also pool the capital of several investors. It is an opportunity to invest in property without needing to purchase it outright.
How to invest in REITs on DEGIRO?
- REITS fall under shares.
- So, the process is same as shares.
- Now, on the company list you need to recognize the REITs of your country.
How? Simply google “List of [country name] REITs”. For example, “List of Ireland REITs”.
- Once you have done your background check and chosen the REIT of your liking, go to the search bar and search for it as you would when buying shares of any other company.
- Proceed to sell/buy the same as in Stocks.
REITs generally pay good dividends. As always, do your research wisely.
Buying Bonds on DEGIRO.
A bond allows an investor to lend money to an issuing entity like the government or corporates. In return for owning a bond, lenders are paid interest, also called the coupon rate. Know more.
- Login to your account.
- Then, click on prices on top of home screen and go to the bonds tab.
- Here you can specify whether you want the government or corporate bonds.
- Here you can find information about the bond like the coupon rate.
- Click on a bond to view its overview like past performance.
- Press buy to start the order process.
- You can select order type here and view information like price, volume on the side.
- Same as before, choose the order duration and review the order before placing it.
Here’s a video demo on how to buy a bond.
Disclaimer -Investing involves risk of loss
To open your DEGIRO account click here